Examinations: Parents Guide
GCSE examinations can be a worrying prospect for your child and they will be under a great deal of pressure with coursework deadlines and examination preparation.
Parents/Carers may find it difficult to support their children through this time. This parent guide is a list of possible strategies that may help you with this support.
Please ensure that you:
- Ensure that your child attends school regularly and on time
- Talk to your child about their learning, work they has to do and deadlines
- Contact your child’s tutor if you have any questions or concerns about your child
- Attend Parents’ Evening
- Check your child’s revision timetable for mock exams
- Check your child’s examination timetable and ensure they understands when their exam take place. If an exam is missed your child will not be awarded any marks for that exam.
- Read your child’s copy of the Summer Examination Timetable
- Attend all meetings and workshops organised for parents to assist their children with GCSE work.
Students will have many deadlines to meet during this year. You can help your child by:
- Monitoring their coursework. Find out what they have to do and when it has to be handed in
- Making sure they are doing some work every evening
- Contacting their tutor if they say they have no work to do, or if they are worried about a piece of work
- Encouraging them to attend Enrichment, half-term and Easter revision classes
- Encouraging them to use the numerous websites available to support their coursework and revision
- Provide them with a quiet place to study
- Make sure they takes regular breaks
- Ensure that they eat healthy food and drink plenty of water
- Ensure that they go to bed at a reasonable time and get enough sleep
- Ensure that they revise thoroughly for both the mock and final examinations.
You can contact your child’s Learning Manager if you wish to discuss any GSCE related issues.
2015 Certificates: Exam certificates for leavers in summer 2015 are not available until the end of October. We will post details of collection arrangements when they are available.
2014 Certificates: A number of these are still waiting for collection. Any leavers in 2014 should contact the exams office to arrange collection.
Certificates from before 2014: In accordance with the JCQ regulations certificates from previous years are not held for longer than 12 months after they are awarded. If you have lost, misplaced or did not collect certificates then you must approach the individual awarding bodies for replacements. The school cannot do this for you it is on an individual basis.